Wednesday, January 24, 2007

This is going to be short. We were sitting around here yesterday not doing much, when suddenly the doorbell rang. At the door was this kid High Intensity went to daycare with last year and her mother. Surprised, I invited them in, and, once in the hallway, the mother told me that their baby, one month old, died two weeks ago, suddenly, without any prior warning that something was wrong. While she was telling me this, Mr IQ, who had not been listening to our conversation, came over and dumped Baby Fangs into my arms, because he had just changed her diaper and needed to go wash his hands. ("I didn't know! Oh, God, I didn't know.") I stood there, dumbly, with my very much alive and healthy baby in my arms, thinking, "Oh, this is so terrible, so terrible..."

She came in and stayed for a while, had tea and cried on my sofa. Mr IQ took her daughter, H.I. and the baby upstairs and redeemed himself by keeping them up there all afternoon, feeding them pizza and painting their fingernails. What a nice guy. But at one point I had to feed the baby, and it was one of the most difficult things I have ever done in my life, knowing, because she had told me, that her breasts were leaking, and that she was currently pumping them twice a day to keep them producing milk. She said she was doing this to keep her baby somehow close to her, still a part of her life.

They buried her on one of those frigid -45 C days we were having a while back. She was in her snuggly, to keep her warm. Oh GOD, why does life have to be so damn bloody awful and hard sometimes?

Last month, I stumbled upon this blog site set up by a couple who are currently in the process of adopting a little boy from Russia. I followed it pretty closely last December, and, while sitting around here today feeling gloomy and depressed by how horrible everything can be, and so terribly, terribly sorry for that mother, I thought of them, and checked back in. (Let's face it, blogging is.... well, it's weird.) Anyway, it looks like they are gearing up for their final trip, the one that will have them flying back with their new kid, and I'm going to follow them all the way and cheer them on. It's a happy story, and I need to be reminded that life can be okay sometimes.

5 comments:

Heather Plett said...

Oh man. That sucks. Big time. I know how hard it was to lose a baby I'd never held - I can't imagine losing one I'd spent a month with. Horrible.

Pamela said...

oh man... that is one of those suck deep breath fill lungs hold back tears pray for guidance fall on your face and praise God that yours is well but W.H.Y. God did she have to lose hers- moments.

Sheri said...

There really just aren't words for that kind of thing. My heart goes out to that poor woman and I've never even met her.

In situations like that you always feel like everything you do and say is wrong and guilt is overwhelming.

I'm sure she was just greatful that you lent her an ear and allowed her time to cry.

Wow...just...yeah wow.

Anonymous said...

Ouch.

Here's another happy few:

The Infertile Gourmet (I don't know the URL, but you can find it by googling "Infertile Gourmet" - she's currently in Guatemala picking up her child (takes weeks!)

Three Sons and a Princess - they brought their daughter home from Russia just a few weeks ago.

And there are a few happy endings written on my own blog :) mostly in the months of April 2005 and June 1999.

I like you. Hope I get to meet you again someday.

Jill said...

Oh, how sad. I can't even imagine how hard that must be. That is not fair.

I think it says something nice about you and your family that she felt safe enough to show up unexpectedly and spend some time with you while she's in so much pain. Don't feel bad for feeding your baby. She knew you had a baby. Maybe she needed to be near one.