Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Baby, It's Cold Outside...

...and the fearless blogger risks it all to take yet another dip in the SHALLOW end....

The problem with January is that you take the vow to live a life of virtue, and then these post-Christmas sales come along and sabotage everything. It's not the sweets that get me, I can resist buying those, it's all those damn swanky discount cheeses.

Case in point, yesterday's menu:

Breakfast: Slow cooked oatmeal with skim milk, apples and raisins. High Intensity surprised me by saying that instead of sugar, she wanted her bowl sprinkled with flax seeds. Wow, despite everything (and I do mean everything), I am at least doing something right.

Lunch: Assorted raw veggies and zero-fat dip. Salmon sandwich on whole-wheat bread. Green tea.

Afternoon snack: Large wheel of Camembert cheese.

See what I mean? And as I write this, there's another one sitting in fridge, calling my name. Superstore was practically GIVING them away, what was I going to do??

In other devastating news, I have another issue to turn my shallow and vain attention towards: Yesterday in the thrift store, the woman ringing up my purchases took a look at my hands and said, "Ya like carrots, huh?"

"What???" I asked, not really registering what she was saying.

"Carrots," the woman said, "you eat a lot of them."

"Oh, uh, yeah, I, uh, guess I do...." I didn't ask, but my expression said, "HUH????"

"Your skin is orange," the lady said, taking my money.


I'm.....I'm ORANGE???????????

6 comments:

Jill said...

Mmmm, I'm a sucker for cream Havarti. I'll do anything for it.

Maybe it's all that cheese turning you orange. You haven't been eating too much Velveeta, have you?

Krista said...

I. Love. Cheese. If I weren't currently in the middle of Buttf***, Manitoba right now, I would go to Superstore and clean them out.

My favorite story is the one my mom told me about a woman who came into the doctor's office in a panic. Her baby was turning orange and she was sure it had some sort of deadly disease.

"Ma'am, there's nothing wrong with your baby," the doctor said.

"How can you say that? Look at it!"

"Oh, I can see it all right. What are you feeding it?" asked the doctor.

"Exactly what I was told to feed it. Vegetables, mostly."

"What kind of vegetables?"

"What do you mean, what kind of vegetables? Isn't there only one?"

"No, ma'am. There are more vegetables in the world than carrots."

"But carrots are the only vegetable I like."

"That's fine. But if you continue to only feed your child carrots, it will continue to grow oranger and oranger."

"What if I add some food colouring to the carrots. Do you think that will help?"

"No. No more carrots."

"Ever?"

"Until she's old enough to decide for herself."

"When will that be?"

"Give it another 20 years."

LOL I made that last bit up, but yeah, that's the gist of it. :)

Linda said...

So,what did you have for supper?

Pamela said...

ex FIL went on a carrot juice fling and he turned orange.

Linda said...

I could have been the woman in Krista's story. According to my pediatrician, Ben (who was 2 at the time) had one of the best cases of carotenemia he had ever seen!

mmichele said...

i think it was really rude of the woman at the thrift store to say you were orange. what was she? baggy eyed? droopy skinned? ugly?